Pork is a big deal in this home. It could have something to do with being Puerto Rican. It’s the choice meat on our little island. Seriously, instead of a Christmas ham we roast pork with the skin on until crispy. We even have Christmas songs about roasted pig. Needless to say, I love pork and I was craving some pulled pork but I wanted to use some more “down homey” flavors. I thought I would start with my “Slow Cooker Pernil” and give it a BBQ pulled pork twist.
I took my slow cooker pernil and added some chipotle salsa, malta and tomato paste. This is knock your socks off delicious! Let me make clear that I used chipotle salsa and not chipotle peppers. Also, if you’re not familiar with malta it’s a non-alcholic malt beverage. Malta can be found at a Latin market, Asian market or if your lucky the international aisle of your local super market. If you have never had it, you probably won’t appreciate it. It’s an acquired taste that you have to grow up with, but don’t think of not using it. If you absolutly can’t find it you can use Coca-Cola in it’s place. They don’t taste anyting alike but what you really need are the sugars, so Coca-Cola can be used as a substitution.
What I love about slow-cooker recipe is that you can walk away, do some laundry, run a mile or try to paint a replica of the Mona Lisa. When you come back from doing whatever super productive thing you were doing, you will be greeted with tender, saucy porky goodness. What can be better than that!?
This is best served on a toasted bun with a tangy cole slaw or with my refrigerator pickled salad. The best part about this is the leftovers. Why do you ask? Because you get to eat it AGAIN! Enjoy it wrapped in a toasted tortilla, on a salad or with eggs!
- Pulled Pork
- 4 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 6 cloves of garlic, pressed
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1½ Tbs olive oil
- 1½ Tbs white vinegar
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 7 oz can chipotle salsa
- 1 12 oz bottle malta
- ½ cup bitter orange marinade
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- Cole Slaw
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cole slaw
- Combine garlic, pepper, oregano, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Cut slits in pork, fill with garlic mixture, rub remaining mixture on pork refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a hot heavy bottom pot or dutch oven brown the pork on all sides, transfer to slow cooker. Add chipotle salsa, malta, bitter orange marinade & tomato paste, stir.
- Cover and set on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- In a container combine hot water, sugar, vinegar and salt. Cover and shake until well combined. Toss cole slaw with pickling juice. Cover and set aside.
- Shred meat using a fork or thongs, serve on buns with slaw.
Follow The NosheryAre you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest?
Want to get some peeks behind the scenes? Take a picture of my snapcode and follow me on SnapChat!
Subscribe to The Noshery email list to have each post delivered straight to your inbox or follow my blog with Bloglovin.