The big game is just around the corner and what says Super Bowl more than chicken wings? These chicken wings are the perfect game day appetizer. The chicken wings are cook in the instant pot until they are fall off the bone tender. They are then tossed with a sweet, spicy, and sticky gochujang glaze.
The wings broil in the oven for a few minutes until the glaze is bubbly, brown, and caramelized. Yes, you will need napkins but make sure you lick your fingers first. You don’t want to waste any of this amazing glaze.
These chicken wings are dangerously addictive. They have everything you could possibly desire of chicken wings and they come out so tender that you can pull the meat off the bone in one swoop.
The glaze is made with a base of apricot preserves and gochujang. The result is a perfectly balanced sauce of sticky sweetness and gochujang umami. This glaze is also great over pork, fish, or grilled chicken.
What is Gochujang?
Gochujang is a popular ingredient in Korean cooking. It is a thick sauce made up of red chili pepper, sticky rice, fermented soybeans, and salt. The paste is fermented for a year in a clay pot kept outdoors. The fermentation process allows the rice to turn into sugars giving gochujang it’s sweetness that is balanced with the spice of the chili pepper, and the fermented soybean gives it an umami flavor.
How to Cook Frozen Instant Pot Korean Chicken Wings
- First, it is important that the chicken wings are separated and not stuck together and frozen in a block. If the chicken wings are stuck together the skin will bond while cooking in the pressure cooker and tear up the wings.
- Place the chicken wings in a steam basket or on a rack in the instant pot and add water.
- Cook the chicken wings at high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes and then open the valve for a quick release.
Gochujang Chicken Wing Recipe Ingredients
- chicken wings
- sesame seed oil
- gochujang sauce
- apricot preserves
- soy sauce
- pureed ginger
- apple cider vinegar
- fish sauce
How to Make Instant Pot Sticky Gochujang Wings
While the chicken wings are cooking in the pressure cooker make the gochujang glaze.
Combine the sesame oil, garlic, gochujang, preserves, soy, ginger, vinegar, and fish sauce in a saucepot. Heat the pot over medium heat and whisk until the preserves have melted and the ingredients are well combined. About 2 minutes.
Transfer the chicken wings from the instant pot to a large bowl and toss the wings with the sauce until it evenly coats the wings.
Set the oven to broil and line a sheet pan with foil and a cooling rack. Arrange the wings on the rack and brush with any remaining glaze.
Broil for about 3 minutes each side, or until caramelized, basting them with sauce after turning.
Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro for serving.
Notes for Gochujang Chicken Wings
These wings can also be prepared in the slow cooker. Use the same process of placing the wings on a rack or steam basket in the slow cooker with water. Then cook for 2 1/2 hours on low or and if you cook them on HIGH they should be done in just over an hour.
If you prefer your chicken wings wet you can just toss them in the sauce after cooking and serve.
Keep a close eye on the wings while under the broiler. The sugars in the glaze can burn if left unattended.
If you don’t have a baking sheet with a cooling grid don’t work just spray the baking sheet with some non-stick spray.
More Asian Inspired Dishes
more chicken dinner love
- thai chicken salad
- takeout cashew chicken
- chicken satay recipe with peanut sauce
- orange chicken that’s better than takeout
- 4 lbs chicken wings, cut into joints, discard wing tips or freeze to make stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon gochujang sauce
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon pureed ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Place steam rack into the Instant Pot and arrange chicken wings on the rack.
- Pour water into the Instant Pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes if the wings are frozen and 8 minutes if the wings are fresh. If the wings are frozen make sure they are separated and stuck together.
- Set the oven to broil and line a sheet pan with foil and a cooling rack, set aside.
- In a saucepot combine sesame oil, garlic, gochujang, preserves, soy, ginger, vinegar, and fish sauce. Heat the pot over medium heat and whisk until the preserves have melted and the ingredients are well combined. About 2 minutes.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer for 3 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Transfer the chicken wings to a bowl and toss with the sauce.
- Arrange the chicken wings on the rack in the prepared sheet pan and brush the wings with any remaining sauce.
- Broil for about 3 minutes each side, or until caramelized, basting them with sauce after turning.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro for serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker
- bibigo Gochujang Sauce, Hot & Sweet, Korean-Style, 11.5 Ounce, Squeezable Bottle, Pack of 1
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- Checkered Chef Cooling Racks For Baking - Quarter Size - Stainless Steel Cooling Rack/Baking Rack Set of 2 - Oven Safe Wire Racks Fit Quarter Sheet Pan - Small Grid Perfect To Cool and Bake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 20gCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gProtein: 33g