Elote Corn | Corn season is here! Corn is never better than right now. I love sweet fresh corn on the grill with charred crispy kernels. I especially love the versatility of corn.
Grill it, shuck it for salads or dips, or toss it into your favorite cornbread recipe. And, don’t get me started about cornbread. I know it’s a huge debate but I like my cornbread sweet. Give me all the cornbread.
A classic way to enjoy corn on the cob is elote corn. Elote corn is Mexican street corn roasted over an open grill and coated with salt, chile powder, butter, cotija, lime juice, and mayonnaise or crema fresca. It’s such a treat and perfect to accompany any barbecue spread or as a summer snack.
It’s also sometimes served in a cups with all the fixings. Even though it’s messy I like mine straight off the cob.
I love my corn on the cob but, you can also roast the corn on the cob, shuck it and serve it in a cup with all the fixings. This way is neater but not nearly as fun. 😀
Elote Corn Recipe
6 ears corn, shucked
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup queso fresco or cojita cheese crumbles
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
If you love flavors that are sweet, smoky, and salty you will love elote corn! Sometimes the simplest dishes are truly the best.
If you are looking for more backyard bbq ideas check out some of my grilling and bbq recipes. If you are looking for a full Mexican inspired meal try roasted tomatillo salsa verde, queso fundito con chorizo, spicy chorizo burger, pollo asado salad, or spicy pineapple margaritas.
more corn recipes
- mexican street corn pasta salad
- zucchini and fresh corn farmers’ market salad with lemon-basil vinaigrette
- grilled corn salad with avocado and tomato
- andouille corn chowder
- sour cream corn pancakes
items used in the recipe
- half sheet pan
- smoke hollow stainless steel tabletop propane gas grill
- Amazon Prime Free 2-Day Shipping (Try a 30-Day Free Trial)
Follow me on Instagram!
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- 6 ears corn, shucked
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup queso fresco or cojita cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- kosher salt
- lime wedges
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, and garlic. Mix until well combined, set aside. Spread cheese crumbles on a plate, set aside. In a small bowl combine chili powder, cayenne paper, and 1 teaspoon salt, set aside.
- Brush grill grate with vegetable oil. Heat grill to high heat. Place corn directly on the grill. Grill corn, turning occasionally until cooked and lightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Immediately brush the corn with mayonnaise mixture. Roll corn in cheese crumbles sprinkles with chili powder mixture and cilantro. Squeeze lime over corn and serve immediately.