Sopa de pollo con fideo or chicken noodle soup warms the soul. When it’s cold outside and you feel a case of the sniffles coming on, nothing makes things better than chicken noodle soup. This is my go-to soup that I make for OB and me on chilly days. spanish chicken soup
OB could live on soup. He loves it, maybe a little obsessed with it, and he had about three bowls of this soup. But isn’t your standard chicken noodle soup. This is Puerto Rican style chicken soup. It’s how my mami makes it soup.spanish chicken soup
First of all, I use bone-in meat, this adds a rich flavor to the broth. None of that dried shredded chicken breast here and of course the secret ingredient sofrito. Sofrito gives all Puerto Rican food its distinct flavor.
I may be a little bias but I declare this the best homemade chicken noodle soup. Spanish chicken noodles soup is the best! It’s loaded with flavor, tender noodles, and chunks of chicken. And, like every soup or stew, it’s even better the next day. So, make a big batch and get to freezing because you are going to want this all the time.
Homemade chicken noodle soup is a hug in a bowl. It hugs you on the inside and I am pretty sure that if you put it up to your ear it would whisper “i love you.”
Ok, it’s getting a little weird and creepy but you know it’s true. If you are wanting to take the comfort level up a notch try this Lemon Chicken and Dumplings soup.
If you are craving something a little lighter try this chunky roasted tomato soup. But, of course, everyone loves a classic Sancocho (Puerto Rican Beef Stew). If you want something hearty and loaded with aromatics and spices you need to try this Moroccan Lamb Stew with Harissa and Garbanzos.
One More Thing!
The holiday season is officially here! Get my new ebook with a collection of 14 traditional Puerto Rican Christmas recipes to help you get your holiday party season going. I got all the essentials! From pernil to tembleque and the ultimate Christmas drink coquito!
more soup love
- slow cooker pork & ramen
- toasted farro with acorn squash, kale and chicken sausage
- skinny chicken fajita soup
- minestrone soup
Follow me on Instagram!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, bone-in skin removed
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 quarts of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 celery stalks, small diced
- 1 large onion, small diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 large potato, small diced
- 1 envelope Sazon con Achiote
- 1 large bay leaf
- 14 oz fideo noodles or broken angel hair pasta
- Store the chicken wings in a resealable bag and freeze for later use. Remove the skin from the remaining chicken pieces, reserve the back of the chicken.
- Rub the chicken pieces and back with salt, pepper and oregano and one teaspoon olive oil and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat. Brown all the chicken on all sides, transfer to a plate.
- Add sofrito purée, onion, carrot, and celery with remaining olive oil to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Return all the chicken to the pot.
- Add the chicken stock sazon, and bay leaf, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and add potatoes, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. During the last 5 - 10 minutes add the noodles and cook until pasta is done.
Sazon is a blend of seasonings. You can make your own by combining equal parts salt, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and annatto. Other possible additions include onion powder, tomato powder, and saffron. 1 1/4 tsp equals 1 envelope of Sazon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.