Korean Pancakes | This post was sponsored by Pompeian. All opinions expressed on my site are my own.
Korean pancakes or jeon are savory thin pancakes that are lightly fried. The result is a tender center and crispy edges. There are many variations of Korean pancakes, pajeon is scallion pancakes. But, I wanted something with a little kick so today I made kimchi-jeon.
These pancakes are made with a simple flour, cornstarch, and egg batter. I then mixed in some chopped kimchi, scallions, and gochujang.
The pancakes are typically pan-fried in vegetable oil. However, I didn’t want the pancakes to be too greasy but, I still wanted the delicious crispy edges. I turned to Pompeian Grapeseed Cooking Spray.
Pompeian Grapeseed Cooking Spray is best for high heat cooking like frying, sauteing, stir-frying, and grilling. Which makes it perfect when craving crispy edges but don’t want to do the actual frying.
Pompeian uses a powerful pouch system without the use of propellants or other artificial additives, so the oil is never mixed with chemicals and no drop is wasted. The unique pouch system also helps to protect the oil from sunlight and oxygen, keeping the product fresher for longer.
These pancakes are great as a simple appetizer or top them with Korean bbq beef and enjoy them as a hearty dinner.
They are best served fresh with there crispy edges intact. But, wait there is more. If you love savory and spicy your are going to flip over the gochujang dipping sauce.
Korean Pancakes Recipe Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ice water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup kimchi, chopped
1/4 sliced scallions
2 teaspoons gochujang paste
Pompeian Grapeseed Cooking Spray
What is Gochujang?
Gochujan is a savory, sweet, and spicy fermented chili paste. The primary ingredients of gochujan is chili powder (spicy), glutinous rice powder (sweetness), fermented soybean (umami), and salt. In one single condiment, you get four distinct flavor profiles.
Gochujan is great added to stews, sauces, soups, and drizzled over barbecue. If you enjoy sweet and spicy you will love gochujang.
What are some of your favorite easy Korean inspired recipes? But don’t just tell me about them. Show me and Pompeian how you are experimenting with the latest food trends on Instagram. To share your latest on-trend creations using Pompeian, tag your photos with #TrendingintheKitchen. If you looking for inspiration or for tips on how to trend in the kitchen, visit Instagram.com/Pompeian.
Thanks to Pompeian’s ongoing commitment to quality and innovation, home cooks can depend on Pompeian’s olive oils and vinegars as a great tasting base while exploring new flavors and ingredients.
more asian inspired flavor
Follow me on Instagram!
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon gochujang paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup kimchi, chopped
- 1/4 sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons gochujang paste
- Pompeian Grapeseed Cooking Spray
- In a small bowl combine all dipping sauce ingredients, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, garlic, salt, ice water, egg, and gochujang paste. Whisk together until smooth. If the batter is too thick, add a more water 1 teaspoon at a time. The batter should be a little runny, but still slightly thick.
- Mix in kimchi and scallions.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Spray with Pompeian Grapeseed cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup of pancake mixture into hot skillet. Cook until the bottom is golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes), then flip over and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until the pancake is crisp and golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes hot with dipping sauce.
Calphalon 1932340 Classic Nonstick Omelet Fry Pan with Cover, 12 Inch, Grey
Norpro Krona 11-Inch Stainless Steel Flat Whisk
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.