Cranberry Sweet Bread Rolls | I have told you all on a few occasions that I’m not the best baker. I am capable of baking but I’m not consistent.
I think I lack the patience that is required to be a really grreat baker. But, there are a few things I make on the regular that I know are really good. My mallorca bread recipe is my one trusty baking recipe.
Mallorca bread (pan de mallorca) can be found in most local Puerto Rican reposteria (bakery) along with many Puerto rican treats. Since I’m not anywhere near a Puerto Rican bakery I had to learn to make my own.
My mallorca bread is tender, sweet, and fluffy. Traditionally it is baked as a coiled bun and dusted with powdered sugar. But, I thought I would get creative and make a holiday-inspired sweet bread roll.
There is no combination that says holidays more than the pairing of cranberry and orange. Inspired by Christmas I thought to intergrate the sweet and tart flavor of cranberries and the brightness of orange into sweet bread rolls.
I decided that I would do some rolls filled with my homemade spiced cranberry sauce and topped with orange icing.
Cranberry Sauce vs. Cranberry Relish
The first time I tested this recipe I tried using a cranberry relish. Cranberry relish is made with raw cranberries that are minced with apples, orange zest, and sweetend with sugar. Because it is not cooked it is more tart than cranberry sauce. Also because it keep it chunky texture it falls out of the rolls.
I really wanted something more decadent. That is when I decided to go a more traditional route and use my Homemade Spiced Cranberry Sauce. I love this sauce! It sweet, tart, and has a touch of holiday spice with the addition of allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
The cranberry sauce works perfectly in these rolls. It is sticky enough to hold inside the sweet bread rolls, and it pairs wonderfully with the bright orange glaze. The yummiest cranberry rolls.
Tips for Cranberry Sweet Bread Rolls
- As I mentioned before the base of this recipe is my mallorca bread. When preparing these rolls plan to give yourself some time to make the dough and let it rise.
- I like the use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for mixing and then change to a dough hook for kneeding. However, if you do not have a stand mixer you can mix and knead this dough with just some elbow grease.
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure the dough is well incorporated.
- You can make the mallorca dough a day in advance. Store it in a large bowl in the refrigerator loosely covered with plastic wrap. Do not put in an airtight container or cover tightly as the dough will double in size.
- For the fluffiest rolls leave the dough to rice in a warm place.
- Before you are ready to roll out the dough let it sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes to allow it to come up to room temperature.
- You can also make the cranberry sauce ahead and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week.
- I baked the rolls in a 13 x 9 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If you are planning to make these to give out as a gift you can bake batches of 6 rolls in smaller disposable round molds. They make a great edible gift.
Can You Use Store-Bought Cranberry Sauce?
Yes, you can. If you feel that you do not have the time to make cranberry sauce you can, of course, use store-bought sauce. However, I highly recommend taking the time to make the sauce from scratch. It is a very easy recipe to make.
Can You Freeze The Sweet Bread Rolls?
The answer is yes and you can freeze them at any time.
- Unrisen and in the pan – Cover them tightly with both plastic wrap and aluminum foil. When ready to bake allow them to thaw and rise, and continue the baking and icing process.
- Baked and not iced – When ready thaw them out and warm them for just a few minutes in the oven. Ice the rolls while warm.
- Baked and iced – Prepare the recipe to finished and iced. Allow the rolls to completely cool and then cover with plastic wrap and foil. Let them thaw and warm for a few minutes in the oven or for 8 seconds individually in the microwave.
Cranberry Sweet Bread Rolls Recipe Ingredients
1 recipe Mallorca Bread
1 recipe Homemade Spiced Cranberry Sauce
1 1/2 lbs powder sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup whole milk
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
1 dash kosher salt
These rolls are everything! They are sweet, tender, tart, sticky, and gooey. If Christmas was a roll this is what Christmas would taste like. With a little planning, you can easily have these rolls put together and ready to bake for Christmas morning.
This recipe makes enough to feed your family and all the family that comes to visit. They also make a great holiday gift or treat to exchange at your next Christmas baking exchange.
If cranberries aren’t your thing but you still love sticky rolls try my Easy Apple Sticky Buns. Sticky buns made with puff pastry and filled with apples and pecans. Their rolls have more sticky and chewy texture than fluffy and gooey.
These rolls are dangerously delicious! By the way, I just said that to the tune of the Lucky Charms jingle. Say it with me, “Dangerously delicious!”
And now the jingle is in your head. You are welcome.
Anyway, if you want something a little different but equally decadent as the traditional cinnamon roll I highly recommend these cranberry sweet bread rolls. They just might become a new Christmas morning tradition.
If you are looking for more holiday recipe inspiration try some of my favorite holiday sweet treats! Arroz Con Dulce (Coconut Rice Pudding) is a creamy coconut cream pudding with plump raisins.
If you like cake you should try my Spiced Rum Apple Cake with Apple Cider Caramel Glaze. I love these sweet and gooey little apple cakes.
Finally, if you are on the hunt for a great Christmas cookie I recommend my Mantecaditos con Guayaba (Shortbread Almond Cookies with Guava). They are perfect with a hot cup of tea or coffee on a cold day and the red guava paste makes them very festive.
I hope you love these sweet bread rolls so much you make them a regular part of your Christmas morning.
more bread love
- brown butter pumpkin bread
- better than starbucks cranberry bliss bread
- bread pudding waffles with blueberries and lemon curd
- 1 1/2 lbs powder sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 dash kosher salt
- Line two 13 x 9 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Divide mallorca bread dough in half. Working with one half roll out the dough on a floured work surface in the shape of a rectangle to 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread 2 cups of cranberry sauce over the rolled out dough.
- Gently roll the dough towards you. Pinch the edge to seal.
- Using a sharp knife cut the roll into 12 even slices. Arrange the slices in the sheet pan, leaving space around each roll.
- Repeat the same steps with the remaining half of the dough and cranberry sauce.
- Loosely cover the rolls with a clean kitchen towel. Place the rolls in a warm place and let rise for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F while the rolls rise.
- Bake the rolls on the center rack for 25 - 30 minutes. Turning the roll half way so they brown evenly.
- While the rolls are in the oven combine the icing ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined and smooth. Adjust the consistency if needed by adding water or powder sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Let the rolls cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Spoon icing over the rolls and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.