Christmas means it’s time for coquito! Coquito is a rich creamy coconut and rum drink that is served in Puerto Rico for Christmas.
Christmas isn’t Christmas without a glass of cold coquito (co-kee-to). If you don’t know what’s coquito my heart hurts for you because it’s the best thing EVER! I like to call it egg nog’s better tasting sassy cousin. Even though it’s nothing like egg nog.
Coquito is a creamy coconut rum drink that is essential to any Puerto Rican Christmas celebration. It’s best enjoyed super cold. I always suggest starting with a small glass because it’s very rich. But, I warn you that you won’t be able to have just one glass.
In the recipe, I suggest 1 1/2 cups of white rum. If that sounds like too much start with 1 cup and add more to taste. I like to add just enough rum that it’s prickly on the back of your throat and warms you on the inside. It will be one of the few drink you’ll have that is cold and warms you up.
I can say with 110% confidence that you will never touch egg nog again after tasting coquito. Ok maybe 99% confidence. Coquito is great to serve at your next holiday party or to bottle and give as a gift. It’s happiness in a glass.
More Puerto Rican Recipes:
- Tembleque | Coconut Pudding
- Arroz con Dulce
- Flan de Calabaza (Pumpkin Flan)
- Chocolate and Coffee Flancocho
Items Used in This Recipe:
- Novelty Clear Glass Swing Top Pocket Flask
- Glass Mugs
- 2-Quart Glass Batter Bowl
- Amazon Prime Free 2-Day Shipping (Try a 30-Day Free Trial)
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (1 15 oz can) cream of coconut (like Coco Lopez)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cup white rum
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a blender at high speed. Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Shake well before serving. Serve cold in a small glass. Garnish with cinnamon stick.
Follow The NosheryAre you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest?
Want to get some peeks behind the scenes? Take a picture of my snapcode and follow me on SnapChat!
Subscribe to The Noshery email list to have each post delivered straight to your inbox or follow my blog with Bloglovin.