Today I am over at Southern Fairytale sharing some pretty sweet Mini Apple Spiced Rum Cakes with Apple Cider Caramel Glaze for Bake, Craft & Sew-along. Who’s not going to love you after getting one of these babies? Pass these around to your neighbors, friends, family or co-workers and you will be the most popular kid on the block.
I am excited to participate in the bake portion of Handmade Holidays: Bake, Craft & Sew – along (#bakecraftsew). Which is 30 days of inspiration. 30 days of deliciousness. 30 days of craftiness. 30 days of sewing-ness. This fabulous blog event is hosted by the lovely Rachel of Southern Fairytale (bake edition), Cindy of Skip to My Lou (sew edition) and Kelly of According to Kelly (craft edition) for the FOURTH YEAR in a row.
These little cakes are tender, sweet and have just the right amount of rum kick. Make little ones as gifts or make one big bunt cake for yourself.
Oh and don’t forget to enter the giveaway! Like a really SWEET giveaway!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup instant vanilla pudding mix, dry
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup spiced rum
- 3 apples, peeled & grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- butter for greasing pan
- flour for dusting pan
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup spiced rum
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 °F. Generously grease cake pan and lightly flour. Set aside.
- Place all of the cake ingredients except the rum and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl after one minute.
- Add the rum, and vanilla and beat for another minute. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, filling the molds ¾ of the way.
- Bake cakes for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake test comes clean. Leave the cakes in the pan to cool slightly while you make the soaking syrup.
- In a medium-sized saucepan combine the syrup ingredients, except vanilla. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the syrup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Spoon a tablespoon of syrup over the cakes while still in the pan. Allow the syrup to soak in, and then repeat again and again until all the syrup is used.
- Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow the cakes to sit out overnight to cool completely and soak in the syrup. Loosen the edges of the cake and invert on to a cooling rack over a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Pour apple cider into sauce pan, bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by half. Add remaining caramel ingredients to sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes,occasionally swirling the pan. Drizzle over cakes.
Here is the giveaway run down!
- The amazing people at Ninja Kitchen have donated a Ninja Ultima Blender. Let me just say I have one and LOVE IT!!
- Epiphanie bags are beautiful and fabulous camera bags and one of you will get to pick out a Stella in your choice of color!!!!! Also each of the contributors get a special little bonus! Epiphanie is awesome like that!
- Laura from Momables is donating a ONE YEAR subscription to her meal planning service and a $25 Amazon Gift Card!
- Our bake portion host Rachel of Southern Fairytale is providing one of her very favorite food-centric books: The brand new mouthwateringly beautiful Bountiful: Recipes Inspired by Our Gardenby the talented and lovely couple of White on Rice, Todd and Diane.
- Rachel of Southern Fairytale is also giving away one of her favorite food photography books: Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- Deanna Garretson of Design Chicky is donating a $100 Design Credit! She can help you create custom recipe cards, Facebook page, or whichever one of her services you’d like!
Make sure that you follow #bakecraftsew on Twitter, subscribe to each of our hosts or just click on the button in the sidebar so that you can keep up with all the Homemade Holiday posts coming up this month, and for your chances to enter to win the goodies above!!!!