Chicken Shawarma Skillet | It tastes like chicken is something people say when describing something simple. I think it’s used because when it comes to food it’s something everyone can relate to. Everyone has tried chicken at some point in their life. And although some might even consider chicken boring I have never met someone who doesn’t like chicken.
Shawarma is a dish that could never be described as boring. This is an adaptation is easy to make on a weeknight and pack full of so many spices are aromatics it’s a festival of flavor.
What is Chicken Shawarma?
Let’s talk about shawarma. I like to describe shawarma as a Mediterranean street food flavor bomb. Meats are seasoned with a mixture of spices and then placed on a spit and slowly roasted for as long as a day. Shawarma can be made with either lamb, beef, or chicken. It’s typically served with pita bread, cucumber, tomato, eggplant, hummus, or tabbouleh.
When I tried shawarma for the first time I may have lost my mind a bit. It was so full of complex flavor. I could taste cumin, coriander, and hints of cinnamon. It was so good I licked my turmeric stained fingers clean. I knew that I had to recreate this at home.
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
2 lemons, juiced
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Red pepper flakes
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
I went on a hunt for a recipe and found one in NYT Cooking that I sensed would be perfect. This adaptation is a baked shawarma that can be made any day of the week. Season the chicken in the morning or when meal prepping and let it marinade. When it’s time for dinner bake it in the oven and serve with all of your favorite fixings. I love to eat mine in a pita pocket with tomato, cucumber, parsley, and tzatziki yogurt sauce. But you can enjoy it any way you like.
Lately, I am obsessed with chicken skillets. I love them because they are easy to prepare and only require one skillet. If you are looking for something with potatoes you should try this chicken skillet with mushrooms and potatoes. If you want something light and healthy this easy italian chicken skillet will do the trick. Finally, if you are craving a killer chicken salad you must try this pollo asado massaged kale salad.
Really when it comes to chicken the possibilities are endless! Visit my entire chicken recipe collection for more inspiration and chicken will never be boring again!
more chicken skillet love
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon tahini sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl combine lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, tahini sauce, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon and red pepper flakes, whisk until well combined.
- Add the chicken and toss to evenly coat. Cover refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Heat an oven-safe skillet (like cast iron) over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and set aside on a plate. Pour marinade into the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the quartered onion to the skillet and toss once to combine. Place chicken on top of the onions and transfer to the oven.
- Bake in the oven until browned, crisp at the edges and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 2 minutes, then slice.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon wedges. Serve with pita bread, tomato, cucumbers, and tzatziki.
Adapted from NYT Cooking
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377 Carbohydrates: 5g Protein: 30g