Soup! I LOVE SOUP!
Chickpeas! I LOVE CHICKPEAS!
Lamp! I LOVE LAMP! (Name that movie)
I love this soup! Am I getting obnoxious yet?
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and ate to their hearts content! It’s such a great time to spend with family and friends. We kept it low key here a Friendsgiving and a Thanksgiving potluck hosted by hour RV park. Unfortunately, I just checked the weather for tomorrow and we are in for another drastic temperature drop. It’s currently a beautiful 79 degrees and tomorrow the high will be 43! What’s the deal. I say it’s time for soup! On a cold day I like to curl-up with a blanket on my lap and a big bowl of warm soup. Especially this soup, because it’s my favorite!
The first time I ever had Spanish Bean Soup was at the Silver Ring in Downtown Lakeland, FL. They had daily special of a half Cuban sandwich with a cup of soup. But most of the time I would just get a big bowl of Spanish Bean soup with bread and butter, it’s divine.
When we moved away from Florida I would crave a bowl of Spanish Bean soup. The only way to curb my craving was to make it myself. Chickpeas, potatoes, andouille and onions simmer together in a savory chicken broth to make big bowls of happiness. Or a bunch of little bowls of happiness, it depends if you want to share.
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 qt of chicken broth
- 1 andouille sausage, cut in half and sliced (can also use Kielbasa or Chorizo sausage)
- 3 red potatoes, quartered & thinly slice
- ½ large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of Goya recaito
- 1 envelope of Goya sazon with saffron
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat, add 4 cubes of recaito (1/4 cup), cook until it breaks down, abt. 5 mins.
- Add sausage, garlic & onions, cook until onions are soft and translucent, add potatoes and chickpeas, chicken stock & an envelope of sazon, stir.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot with bread and butter.
*This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own and I use named products because I trust them and it’s what my mama use.