Olive Oil Cookies | This post was sponsored by Pompeian. All opinions expressed on my site are my own.
Yes, you read that right, olive oil cookies. And, let me tell you olive oil cookies need to be part of your life. Olive oil cookies will change your cookie loving life. If you are looking for a cookie for your cookie exchange that no one else has and makes people go “Hmmm?” this is the cookie you need.
I would describe this cookie a cross between a shortbread and sugar cookie. Yes, they are as amazing as it sounds. Let me explain how it is that olive oil cookies are amazing. This cookie is a combination of classic flavor pairing. Orange, vanilla, almond, dark chocolate, and sea salt are all packed into these scrumptious cookies. A quality olive oil like Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil has bright citrus notes that take all these flavors up a notch.
Are you looking for an easy cookie that sounds like you are fancy cookie making royalty? Make this cookie!
Olive Oil Cookie Recipe Notes
- The dough is a crumbly dough and needs to be pressed and shaped together.
- Melting wafers are easier to work with than chocolate chips when dipping. I recommend using melting wafers that do not require tempering.
- Although the recipe calls for a minimum of 2 hours of chilling I find the more time you allow the more the flavor will develop.
- When you unroll the cookie dough it will be a little oily to the touch. Gently pat with paper towels. The cookies will not be oily once baked.
- Working sugar, orange zest, and vanilla bean caviar with your fingers releases the oils in the orange zest and helps evenly distribute the vanilla bean caviar. You want to work the sugar until it’s fragrant and has an orange tint. It is important to do this before adding the liquids because this is a dry dough.
Orange and Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Cookies Recipe Ingredients
1 cup sugar
2 packed tablespoons orange zest (about 2 medium oranges)
1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 oz dark chocolate melting wafers
sea salt flakes
I cannot begin to express how happy I am with how these cookies turned out but, I am equally excited to be partnering with Pompeian again this year! I just love Pompeian’s olive oils and vinegars. Using Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in this recipe is a fun way to give a traditional Christmas cookie a little twist.
The citrus notes in Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil amplify the bright fresh flavor of the orange zest and sweet almonds. The end result is a hearty cookie with crispy edges, chewy center, and bright fresh flavors.
Craving more treats to gift? Try my Chewy Gingersnap and Chocolate Chip Cookies with Spiced Rum Glaze, Coquito (Puerto Rican Coconut Nog), or Brown Butter Pumpkin Bread.
What are some of your plant-based proteins? But don’t just tell me about them. Show me and Pompeian how you are experimenting with the latest food trends on Instagram. To share your latest on-trend creations using Pompeian, tag your photos with #TrendingintheKitchen. If you looking for inspiration or for tips on how to trend in the kitchen, visit Instagram.com/Pompeian or check out my dessert recipe collection.
Thanks to Pompeian’s ongoing commitment to quality and innovation, home cooks can depend on Pompeian’s olive oils and vinegars as a great tasting base while exploring new flavors and ingredients.
more edible gift love
- peanut butter hot chocolate sticks
- mantecaditos con guayaba (shortbread almond cookies with guava)
- gingerbread crinkle cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 packed tablespoons orange zest (about 2 medium oranges)
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz dark chocolate melting wafers
- sea salt flakes
- In a large bowl combine sugar, orange zest, and vanilla bean caviar. If using vanilla extract wait to combine it with wet ingredients. Using your finger work the sugar until zest and caviar is evenly distributed and the sugar is fragrant.
- Add olive oil, eggs, and vanilla extract if using to sugar mixture. Mix until well combined and emulsified.
- In a separate bowl combine almond flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture 1 cup at a time until well combined. The dough is a crumbly dough.
- Divide the dough in half, spread out half the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Press together, using the parchment paper shape the dough into a log about 8 - 10 inches long.
- Wrap log tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and unwrap it. The dough will be oily that is normal. Pat with a paper towel if necessary.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut slices 1/2" thick or a little less.
- Place the cookie dough slices on a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes, or just until the cookies are set. Don't allow them to brown.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to completely cool. Place cooling rack over a sheet of parchment paper.
- While cookies are cooking melt dark chocolate wafers according to package directions.
- Dip cooled cookies in dark chocolate, coating half the cookie. Return to cooling rack.
- When the chocolate just starts to set and become matte sprinkle with salt flakes. Do not sprinkle with salt when chocolate is still glossy as it will just melt into the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has completely set store in air tight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 24 Ounce
Ghirardelli Melting Wafers
Madagascar Vanilla Beans. Gourmet Bourbon Grade A Vanilla Beans (10 Beans)
King Arthur Almond Flour, 16 Ounce
Nordic Ware 43343 Oven Safe Nonstick Baking & Cooling Grid (1/2 Sheet), One, Steel
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver