I know I have been MIA for a few days, mostly because I’ve been working on updating my site. Finally the weekend is here and to top it off it’s snowing, so I decided that today was a good day to get back into the kitchen. Last night I had taken out some ground turkey meat and I had to do something with it today, so I decided on some meatballs. I make BBQ meatballs every once in awhile, but I wanted to give them a twist and I remembered a blueberry-balsamic bbq sauce I saw in one of my cookbooks, so I went digging around for it.
The sauce has a great sweet & tangy taste and my husband said that the meatballs tasted like meatloaf….lol. It was super easy to make. However be sure not to repeat my mistake and make the effort to find the lid to your blender. After cooking the sauce in the pan you have to putting into the blender. Well, I couldn’t find my lid so I got a bowl and set it on top of the blender. (I am sure you can imagine what happened next.) When I turned the blender on it sprayed out. There was blueberry-balsamic bbq sauce everywhere, on the counter, wall and coffeemaker. Amazingly enough I didn’t get any on the ivory turtleneck I was wearing. Mental note, wear darker colors when making this sauce.
Anyways, these meatballs turned out great and the sauce will go great with any protein. I think I may try this sauce on some ribs….Mmmmmmm.
Blueberry-Balsamic BBQ Turkey Meatballs (14 meatballs)
- 1 lbs of ground turkey meat
- 1/4 cup of minced parsley
- 2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Sauce (from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 04)
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 3 Tbs ketchup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. To prepare meatballs, combine all the ingredients for the meatballs into a large bowl, mix together working with hands. Shape meat into about 14 1 inch balls. Set aside.
2. Place all ingredients for bbq in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 mins. Remove from heat and transfer into a blender, process until smooth.
3. Place meatballs into the same saucepan over a medium heat and brown. Pour sauce over the meatballs, cover and simmer for about 8 mins or until meatballs are done.