Mallorca

Hold up wait a minute!  I recently revamped this recipe.  Check it out!  Mallorca Bread: Soft Puerto Rican Bread Rolls

I don’t think I can count all the happy and fun memories this bread brings up.  Every time I go home to visit I have to get my hands on a warm buttery mallorca.  In Puerto Rico every small town has at least one large bakery with an array of delicious pastries and breads and you almost always find mallorca.  If there is one weakness I have when I visit Puerto Rico it’s the bakeries.  I go on a all out carb gorge when I visit, picking up bread in the morning for breakfast and pastries to have with my after dinner cup of cafe con leche.

Mallorca bread is a sweet, fluffy and buttery egg bread. It is perfect to have sliced and buttered with a cup of coffee or you can also have a savory sandwich version with a slice of ham and Swiss. Pan de Mallorca (mallorca bread) originates from the Ensaïmades bread from the Spanish island of Majorca, which is why we call it Mallorca.

If there is one place that I MUST go visit when I am home in Puerto Rico, it is La Bombonera.  La Bombonera is rich part of Puerto Rico’s culture.  It is on Calle San Francisco in Old San Juan and was established in 1902, four years after the island was ceded to the U.S. after the Spanish-American War.  My mother would take my sister and I when we were young to La Bombonera on Saturday mornings and she would tell us about how she use to come with my Grandfather when she was little.  When you walk in it is like entering a time warp, the waitstaff is very friendly and they wear white shirts with bow ties and red vests and the “decor” hasn’t been updated since at least 1950.  There are all different kinds of people who visit La Bombonera, you will find people who have been coming there for years sometimes decades and tourist who just got off the cruise ship and are rosy red from all their time in the sun.  Most of all La Bombonera is famous for their mallorcas.  They sit in the window, plump, buttery and dusted with powdered sugar just begging you to come in and eat one.  If you ever visit you must try a mallorca with a cup of cafe con leche, which is made from an espresso machine, that has to be the same one they have had since it opened.  The machine looks like it has seen its share of battles but it makes a mean cup of coffee.  (Visit Tasting Memories for pictures of La Bombonera)

Another memory that comes to mind and makes me chuckle, is sitting out en el balcon (on the porch) early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and I could hear from a block away a megaphone with a lot of static announcing “el panadero…el panadero”. Eventually the sound would approach my house and a car would drive by with a megaphone rigged (I am sure coat hangers where used)  to the roof of a beat up old car announcing “el panadero…el panadero” , which mean “the breadman….the breadman”, calling out to the neighborhood letting everyone know that he had fresh bread for sale.  People would come out of their homes in their robes and flag him down to buy bread for breakfast.  I remember on a few occasions picking out a bag of mallorcas and some pan de agua.  It was great since you didn’t have to get all dressed up to go to the bakery.

It is funny how when you live in an area where certain ingredients are easy to come-by (ie. Florida and Puerto Rico) you take it for granted but ever since we moved out to Oklahoma I have been more driven to tie into my culinary roots.  Late last week I got in my head that I would try to make some mallorcas.  I went hunting around on the Internet and first came across this recipe.   I gave it a try and although they were good it wasn’t quite what I was looking for, they weren’t fluffy or sweet enough.  Also it used a rolling and slicing technique instead of a coil and it just didn’t translate in my brain.  When I see a mallorca it looks like a big fat coil, not like a plain cinnamon roll.   The next day I hit the Internet again determined to find a satisfactory recipe.  I could have tweaked the one I already had, but I am not confident enough in my baking skills to go and tweak a bread recipe.  After a short amount of searching I found this recipe on The Recipe Link.  It had more eggs, more sugar, more rising and it used the coil technique, I was in.

On Sunday after church I decided to give this new recipe a go.  It was easy although a bit time consuming since it has to rise 3 times, 45 mins. to an hour each time, but it was worth it.  They had all the elements that I wanted in a mallorca. They were just a little sweet, very soft and fluffy and ohhhhh so buttery.  The smell of the bread baking was intoxicating.  At one point Obed (a.k.a Hubby, which I will now call by his name) came into the kitchen and declared that it smelled like a Puerto Rican bakery.  He then did his signature “dance” of excitement, slapping his hand together, rubbing them together, while doing a little hop/skip thing that he does.  You have to see it to get it.

These mallorcas were divine and for just a moment they transported me back home, during my childhood when I would tear pieces off bit-by-bit and lick the butter and poweder sugar off my fingers.  That night we each had one for dessert with a glass of milk and then one in the morning with coffee.  I took the rest into the office, ergo avoiding a mass consumption of mallorca when I got home from work.  Otherwise it would have taken every ounce of my being to not eat them all in one sitting.

Mallorca

Yield: 12 rolls

Mallorca

Hold up wait a minute! I recently revamped this recipe. Check it out! Mallorca Bread: Soft Puerto Rican Bread Rolls

Ingredients

1 pkg dry yeast (1/4 oz)
3/4 cup white sugar
4 to 5 cups all purpose flour, divided use
1 cup milk, lukewarm
1 cup water, lukewarm
6 egg yolks
1/2 lb. butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm

Instructions

In a mixing bowl, pour lukewarm milk and water, sprinkle yeast in add sugar and 1 cup of the flour. Set aside until the mixture starts to rise about 45 minutes.

Beat the egg yolks into the mixture, blending very well. Add the remaining flour little by little. Add 1/2 the melted butter and set aside until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Dust the board where the dough will be rolled out with a little flour to prevent dough from sticking, keep some flour handy for dusting. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll out each portion, brush with butter and roll into a long strip. Form into a coil, insert the inner end making sure it's tucked in, same with the other end of the roll. Butter top. Place on greased baking sheets. Use 2 baking sheets placing 6-8 rolls on each sheet. Cover and let rolls rise until they have doubled in size.

Bake at 375 degrees F about 12-15 minutes. Cool on cooling rack and dust with poweder sugar.

** In the picture I have all rolls one one sheet, but I had to divide them up so they would have room to rise and bake.

Comments

1. Summer says

Mine don’t look anything like yours but mmmmmmmaaaaan are they delicious! Thanks for posting I’ll work on my roll’n’coil technique in a few weeks when I make them again for Easter!

2. Diane says

This bread/sandwich is one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten. In old San Juan Puerto Rico there is a bakery “Mallorca” where I had my 1st sandwich and fell in love, I look forward to making this recipe. Thanks, will send email and pictures.

3. Chris says

Decided to make the dough the night before and let it rise in the frig overnight so as to have Mallorcas on Thanksgiving morning here in Southern California (where no one has ever heard of them). The wife, who grew up in Puerto Rico, says that I nailed it, I got a kiss too, so I believe this is proof positive that you have the recipe correct and no additional salt or sugar are required. We also have many memories of La Bombanera from our visits to the in-laws over the years and have always assumed we had to travel all the way to PR to have Mallorcas. Thanks!

4. Ivy says

I don’t know if this question was already asked (sorry, I skipped down at about the fifth one), but is this 1/4 oz or 1/2 oz of yeast?

5. Angela says

Can’t wait to try these! I have so many wonderful memories of La Bombonera….we visited my moms family in Puerto Rico every other winter while I was growing up, and that bakery will always have a special place in my heart!

These were amazing! I loved the flakiness of the dough and even though it took a while to make, it wasn’t overly difficult. I will definitely be making these again.

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be
    happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

8. Izarys says

Thanks for this amazing recipe! Ever since I could remember I have been obsessed with mallorcas! I followed this recipe a couple of weeks ago and it brought me back to my childhood in Puerto Rico. I am planning on making another batch this weekend for some friends to taster a bit of Puerto Rico in Miami :) thank you thank you thank you for this recipe!!!

9. Jelly says

This recipe is missing a few things. The texture of the dough is great, it’s light and fluffy. The egg yolks give a beautiful color. However, it’s lacking a lot of flavor. Mallorcas are so great on their own and the majority of the time I don’t eat then with ham & cheese. A cup of cafe con leche and a plain warm mallorca bread will do. I would increase the sugar to 1 cup and add at least 1 teaspoon.

• Jelly says

This recipe is missing a few things. The texture of the dough is great, it’s light and fluffy. The egg yolks give a beautiful color. However, it’s lacking a lot of flavor. Mallorcas are so great on their own and the majority of the time I don’t eat then with ham & cheese. A cup of cafe con leche and a plain warm mallorca bread will do. I would increase the sugar to 1 cup and add at least 1 teaspoon of salt.

10. léon says

I have asked André to bake me Mallorcas using the recipe just found in the NYTimes. He spent part of the night on this task. In the early
    morning I was awakened by the most wonderful smell. The taste was
    wonderful.
    It was one of the best Birthday Gift ever received
    léon

• Laurie says

I make the dough up through the final step after rolling it out and coiling it into the bun, then toss the individual portions of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze them. Once they are completely frozen after a few hours, I put them in a freezer bag. The night before I’m ready to bake them, I move them to the fridge overnight then allow them to come to room temp for an hour or so before cooking them. They come out just as well as when I do the whole process straight through! Since it is a time consuming treat (though well worth the wait!!!), this is a nice time saver and you get to have them on hand for when cravings hit! :)

11. Marco Polo Moraga says

I dont know if by writing this im the bearer of bad news, since i started searching for a good recipe for mallorcas because i discovered that our beloved Bombnera closed its doors after an amazing 110 uninterrupted years. I am making a big biig batch of buttery mallorcas in memory of my favorite restaurant in Puerto Rico, it really made me sad to hear the news. What made me smile is this entry, after reading your story and the memory a place like that can bring i couldnt help but reminisce in my own memories. A place like la bombonera will always have a place in our hearts, and hopefully our belly!

12. Carla says

Thank you thank you!!!!!!! These turned out great and my husband said they tasted just like the ones in Puerto Rico, actually he said they were better!!!!!! Thanks for sharing ;)

13. Ikm says

I have tried the recipe twice following to the T. The first time the final product was a fluffy bland bread that expanded but did not rise. The second time I added a little bit more salt and sugar and VOILA, great improved taste. Still did not rise as was expected and did not get that nice color that shows in the picture but it tastes very good. They don’t taste exactly like the ones from P.R. but they sure satisfy the craving for the Mallorca. Thanks a lot for the recipe. :-)

14. Sandee says

I am in Puerto Rico now and I plan on going out to get one of these to try today! They look wonderful and I have been seeing them in the different restaurants and bakeries around here. Can’t wait to try and make them. Thanks for the recipe!

I am so glad that I found your recipe! When I first tasted one of these I thought I have tasted this before, but where? After a while I thought I know what it tastes like, I swear you could use this as a base for Panetone!! or put finely chopped dried/candied fruits into the batter at some point be for baking. I am so glad to have this recipe, thanks for sharing your recipe.

16. Francheska says

Necesita sal, con todo y que le heche un poco sabe bien soso el pan bien soso and it didn’t rise much

17. pamela says

I made these for my Puerto Rican boyfriend because I was late running for my flight and couldn’t pick them up on the way to the airport. He was stoked. Ate two in one sitting. Thanks!

18. DeannaRW says

I’ve never heard of this bread before. But when I saw the recipe, I had to try it out. Especially since I realized I already had everything on hand! I don’t know what they are supposed to taste like, but they came out great and were delicious!

19. Scooter says

I tried it for the second time. Once the dough is coiled and buttered, how long do I have to wait to get the dough to rise again? It expanded but did not rise. Please help! Thanks

I’ve been wanting to make this for a while but couldn’t find a good recipe. Your mallorca looks really good!! I’ll have to give this a try in the near future! When I do, I’ll make sure to link the credit to your blog!! Thx!

21. Becky says

Tried this and they turned out great-need to use much more flour than you stated, though. Also, an egg wash will give them that brown crunchy top. They do taste light and fluffy, thanks for the recipe and excellent pictures!
    (package yeast is a standard size, but I used 1 tablespoon of yeast from a large bulk bag of Bob’s Red Mill.)

• Carmen says

You are right, considering that the average bread uses 1 cup of water/milk per 3 cups of flour for regular bread, the recipe needs more flour than stated. I am just adding flour until it is manageable, but can form an even ball without sticking too much to the sides of the pan.

22. Ravneet says

Wow!! We visited PR in January and I haven’t been able to get Bombonera out of my head. We had also tried cafe mallorca and it just wasn’t the same. Anyways, i finally tried this recipe and it is amazingly delicious! This was the first time I used yeast and the dough was sticky and took a bit getting used to but the mallorcas were dead on. Thank you thank you thank you!

23. Laura says

I have baked very little before and I would like to try this recipe.
    One thing I don’t understand is a “package of dry yeast” is that a standard thing?
    Are there big packages and small packages?
    Thanks for your help

24. Leanna says

Thank you for this recipe!! Turned out great on the first try. My husband went crazy when I made these for him. He LOVES the mallorcas at La Bombonera. Question: have you ever tried freezing the dough and baking them later? They just take so long to make and you really want to eat them fresh but I don’t always have the time on the day I want them.

• Coral says

Leanna , I have made them and the froze them. The I take them out as I want to eat them. I microwave them very little to defrost ever so slightly and place on my toaster oven to get the a bit warm!!!! Yum! I have Mallorcas for a Looong time!

25. lisa says

I tried your recipie….I LOVE IT!! I too tried them at Bombonera and fell in Love….I make it all the time now…thank you so much!! Simple and delicious!

26. Gisela says

YAY!! I have been craving mallorcas forever! I’ve been looking and looking for a recipe and I am so happy I found this. I haven’t been home to PR in over 3 years and I’ve been dying to have some of these, that and some arroz con pollo.

27. Kelly says

Hi,

I’ve tried this recipe twice and the dough comes out way too sticky to handle. I dust my hands and the surface I’m using and I’ve tried adding a little extra flour but every time I try to roll the dough or even touch it, it sticks all over my hands. Do you have any suggestions? I live in Tampa, FL which is really humid. Could that be the problem?

Thanks!

28. ana says

I make them two weeks ago. oh my God !!!!!!!!!!!! they were gooooooooddddddd.
    I thought that was dificult process following the instructios was an esy proccess.
    now I am making the famous quesitos from los Cidrines in PR. goooooddddddd

29. betsy vega says

Dear Miseidy
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I’m on my way to making them a second time!! I had not had a mallorca in years. This was platinum!! My son and I call anything puertorrican home made food gold… this was beyond gold. I agree that they may need a pinch of salt but from the first time none are left so I know it wasn’t needed. I desagree with MARIA and agree with Coral. I am not a pastry chef but do some baking. These trasnported me to my childhood. I have a friend whom is older than me and she ate hers quietly among us and the coffee that was odd. She was raised in Ponce and later that night she said she was about to cry and speechless for the memories were many. My hat off to you continue baking and the haters have no place in your life!!!! thanks again!!!

30. Rafael says

I have memories of as a kid growing up in Old San Juan siting at the Bombonera Cafe on San Fransisco Street having a toasted mallorca with butter and powdered sugar and a cafe con leche. That was the life!

31. Coral says

I disagree with Maria I have made them MANY times from this recipe and they are delicious! I lived in PR all my life and also know about Mallorcas I have also lived in Europe and have had many Ensaimadas which is the real Spanish name for them . They originally come from the island of Mallorca and that is why we called them Pan de Mallorca or Mallorca in short. I believe that if you have problems with the recipe you should try again because you are definitely missing something !! I am making them as we speak because my mother and sister are coming to visit me in PA and I want to treat them! Thanks Messeidy

• Marila says

I am Coral’s sister. I agree qith her that this is an excellent recipie. I have done it myself several times, and always turned out delicious.

32. Maria says

I follow this recipe to the T and it was terrible. I have lived in Puerto Rico and I know what a good Mallorca is. This is nothing close to the Mallorcas in P.R. La Bombonera en Old San Juan those are delicious and what Padin stores used to be in Old San Juan those were great also. Mayaguez a town on the cost their Mallorcas are exceptional. This recipe is terrible!!!! I consider myself a good cook so I know I follow the recipe right …. Sorry but not a good one!

• Maria you suck says

Wow Maria you suck. If you think these are terrible your obviously the worst cook (with the worst opinions) ever. These are amazing and if you don’t agree you can go fall in a hole.

• John F Passero says

I made these recently. I may have rushed it a bit. I didn’t wait for the mayor as to double in size when they were in the baking pan. They rose about a quarter or so more and started crowding the pan. I should have used a larger pan or put less of them. We had six people try them with cafe con leche. Everyone thought they were great, but my wife and I have had them at La Bombanera in San Juan and they were not the same. The texture was much different. I’ll try it again and make sure it rises fully before baking.

33. Jen says

You don’t know how much i’ve looked for this recipe online. Mallorcas are my favorite. That’s the first thing i look for when i go back home to PR. Last time i went home i had no luck, they were sold out. I’m going to try this and see. Thanks for posting it. I’m from PR and live now in OKC. Have you tried making Pastelillos de Guayaba? I did and they are awesome. I’m looking for the recipe to make secantes, i used to buy this at the bakery, small piece of moist cake with a hard icing on top. Can’t find it anywhere, if you do please post it. Thanks.

34. Laly says

Agree… Quedaron sosas, sosas y use “salted butter”! Anyway…Mis nenes las han devorado, dicen que son como las de la Bombonera!! La textura es perfecta, el color tambien, necesitan mas sabor. La proxima vez que las haga les echare sal come sugiere otra receta que vi y quizas un poco mas de azucar. Ya les dire.

• Maria del Carmen says

Las hice y me quedaron un poco secas o duras. No sé si mi problema es el proceso de amasar, porque no tengo idea de cuál es el punto ideal de la masa. ¿podrías por favor, indicarme qué debo hacer para conseguir la textura perfecta?
      Te lo agradeceré.

35. Sara Calderón says

Dear Mallorca lover,
    I just returned from a visit to my island of Puerto Rico to see my family. I went last August with my mother and four daughters, and first item on the agenda was to go to Old San Juan -to La Bombonera and its sister restaurant La Mallorca, both on San Francisco Street. It is almost a religious devotion to visit both places every time I go. My Mom and my daughters look forward to it, since they know I used to visit regularly with my mother when I was a child and have many great memories of the food as well as the staff. When I visited last August, Andrés, a waiter there since I was a child, was still at the counter waiting on old and new customers who were enjoying their coffee with mallorcas and the pleasant conversation. I was thrilled to greet him!
    Mallorcas are the perfect balance between a croissant and a bread. I can’t wait to try your recipe! My daughter beat me to it and sent me the pictures of her very successful endeavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Sara

36. Lisa says

Meseidy, I finally found the recipe. I cant wait to try to make this awesomely delicious bread. I recall so vividly, eating this bread with a cup of creamy coffee in a little cafe in Old San Juan, PR when i visited a couple of years ago.

I cant wait to bring that blissful moment to my home here in Arizona

thank you for the step by step instruction and recipe. This will definitely bring to light the process in making this delicious bread.

Lisa

La receta es excellente! I have tested many recipes but this one is by far the best (almost like the ones from Pan Pepin in P.R.) I really like your site. I was born in P.R. and live in Tulsa, where is your restaurant?

• says

I wish I had a restaurant. The Noshery is my “restaurant”…lol. The husband and I talk about it but we aren’t there yet. Tulsa could use a good PR restaurant. :D I am glad you enjoyed the mallorcas!

38. Coral Calvin says

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
    You don’t know how long I have been looking for this recipe, the ones I’ve tried never worked. I grew up P.R. and always ask friend to bring me some (and even mail them at christmas time). You are my BEST friend!!!GBYou.

39. Francie says

Since eating mallorcas every morning we were in San Juan last year, I’ve tried unsuccessfully to make these delights. This recipe is the real deal and the pictures are incredibly helpful. To serve as at La Bombonera, let cool but don’t put sugar on. Cut in half, spread butter on both sides and put back together. Then grill in a sandwich press with a flat griddle on both sides (my Waring press from Costco.com works great)until very, very brown but not burned. Remove to a plate and dust on powdered sugar until the top is covered. Best to make them at night and then do the grilling in the morning.

40. Makeez says

Quick question and it might sound silly, but if I’m spending 3 hours making this thing…I need to be clear with my instructions.

Meseidy you said that it’s 4 to 5 cups divided use. What do you mean? Am I using ONLY 4 cups or 5? Does that amount also include flouring my board and dusting, so that the dough doesn’t stick…OR is that amount of flour separate and I decide?

I’m just confused sorry :(

• says

It says divided use because first you use just one cup, leaving you with 3 to 4, and then add the remaining cups later. The 4 to 5 does not include dusting. The dough is a very wet dough, don’t freak, you will have to generously flour your board.

They are a bit of work but well worth it in my opinion. Good luck and have fun!

41. Makeez says

I never knew this recipe existed. I’m sure it did…but I forgot the name of it….when I got back home. It’s been 2 years! Only NOW…did I just….. I google a few names and looked at images, until I finally found it! Pan de Mallorca!

I’m SOOOOOOOOO happy I found it, after nearly 2 years! Thank you SO very much :)

42. Dania says

I tried making these today and totally failed. There was a lot I didn’t do or just plain messed up on. Note to self: Do not confuse 3/4 cup for 1 cup. I’ll be trying again soon….I’m trying to get the light flakiness and soon somehow slide some queso in the middle….mmmm

Hi

I am so glad that I found this recipe. For years I’ve been craving mallorcas. I use to live in Carolina and take the bus to San Juan for school; at the time mallorcas were 25 cents. We always kept the quater for the mallorcas stop at a local tiendita. Thx for the recipe…

44. mallorcalover says

Did you alter the recipe? Did you delete the first, yeast-starting step? I have used this recipe and I could have sworn that there was as an additional step up front?

45. Susan says

Your offered recipe with it’s lucious photo has been nagging at me since you posted it. I saw it on Foodgawker (I think it was Foodgawker) and followed it here. I finally made it today..for most of the day! It’s the lightest, fluffiest, melt-in-the-mouth-like-cotton-candy, sweet roll I’ve ever eaten; it’s SO delicious. But, what a pain that dough was! It was such a wet batter-y dough that I must have added an extra cup and a half of flour just to get it to the sticky-soft stage so I could try to shape it. It finally came together but I didn’t have high hopes for it. I was wrong..it was excellent. I did add a generous tsp of salt and used vanilla granulated sugar instead of plain; I think it added a nice touch. Thanks so much for this recipe.

I just got back from Puerto Rico last night…I’m sitting at my desk enjoying a great cup of Puerto Rican coffee I brougt back with me, and the only thing missing is a piece of pan de mallorca. I decided to google “pan de mallorca” and came across your blog with the pan de mallorca recipe and the great photos. Thanks for the post. Great blog!

47. Joey says

I’ve been using this recipe a few times now and it has turned out great! The only problem I had was keeping the dough at a warm temperature so that the yeast can do their magic. It’s nearly 55 degrees in my apartment and it killed the yeast.

I recommend heating an oven on the lowest temperature (mine only went to 100 deg F) and letting the dough sit in a mildly warm oven during the risings.

48. Ram says

Thanks, Meseidy! I just finished baking and eating this wonderful, tender and delicious recipe. I love, love, love the texture of this. I made only half the recipe and I ended up using 3 cups of flour. I’ll be making this again and again.

49. Ram says

Hi Meseidy, I have another question with regards to the recipe if you don’t mind.

-Did you mix all the 1/2 lb. melted butter in making the dough? Or did you divide it into 2 adding 1/2 with the other ingredients and 1/2 for brushing the dough? Thanks!

50. Eva says

Hi Meseidy,

I just got back from San Juan and have been searching for a recipe for this bread. I’m so glad I found your site and the pictures look AMAZING! Just a quick question though, can I half the recipe to make fewer servings?

Thanks a lot!
    Eva

Hola Meseidy!

I just wanted to say that I’ve been craving these for a while now (ever since I got home from my latest trip to San Juan) and finally decided to make them today. I found your recipe and followed it (just added a little bit of vanilla bean and a pinch of salt). It’s in the oven now baking and I can’t wait until they come out! My dad happened to call when I put them in the oven and he was like “Pan de Mallorca?! Voy p’alla en 10 minutos!” jaja!

Thanks for this great post. When I’m in Puerto Rico I love eating these at Kasalta with jamon serrano. My entire family there is obsessed with Kasalta. I think the only 3 places they ever eat is Kasalta, Bebo’s, and my grandmother’s.

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them. I’m so glad I stumbled onto your site and I will following it for more delicious ideas.

I just wanted to tell you that I made these today and they were as fabulous as was promised. I posted about it on my blog…buttercreamandsugar.blogspot.com.

They turned out great! I managed to squeeze them all onto my 1/2 sheet pan, so I’m not sure if the ones in the middle cooked all the way through (it was a bit snug, so I’ll use both my pans next time). But the corner one I had was very tasty :) Thanks for the recipe :D

I just made these up, and they’re going through the final rise. They look yummy!

I missed one step though, and was wondering if you knew how vital this step is, I didn’t brush the ropes with butter before coiling them. Completely missed that step. But I did drench them in butter on top, so maybe that will make up for it??

P.s. I got your recipe through Tasty Kitchen :D

• says

No real clue. :D I think you should be fine, u just might miss out on some extra butteriness. :D I am sure they will still be delicious. Please let me know how they turn out.

56. Ram says

Meseidy, thanks! Another question, can I make this a day before and serve it in the evening of the following day? We’ll have a little get together and I would like to add this to my menu. How long does it stay tender in room temperature?

• says

I couldn’t tell you 100% because mine were all eaten about mid-day the following day. I baked them pretty late to take into the office the next morning. I think you would be ok although they won’t be as good when fresh, but that is how all bread is. I am sure you don’t have to worry about them getting hard. I would wait to dust them with the powder sugar until your close to serving them, because it tends to melt if you let it sit overnight with the sugar. I hope it all turns out well.

57. Ram says

Hi! It looks really delicious! I’m just wondering how come it doesn’t have salt in it and no baking powder at all?

Did you mix it by hand, I mean not using a mixer at all?

I’ve been seaching for a tender bread and looks like I found one.

• says

It has no salt or baking powder because that is what the recipe told me to do. My baking “skills” end with the recipe. I am not really inclined to the chemistry of baking. :D All I know is that the bread is soft, fluffy and delicious.

I did not use a mixer, I mixed it by hand. I used a wisk up until I added the additional 4 cups of flour then I switched to a wood spoon. The original recipe says you can use a mixer but I just did it by hand.

It really was a delicious bread.