El Jibarito (Plantain and Steak Sandwich)

IMG_2580

Jibarito Sandwich

When I lived back in Florida there was this little Puerto Rican restaurant that had “El Jibarito” sandwich.  It was delicious and one of Hubby’s favorites.  It is a steak sandwich between two huge tostones, which are fried plantains.  After church yesterday I was trying to figure out what to make for lunch and this popped into my head.

Jibaro is a term that refers to the people of Puerto Rico that lived in the heart of the island.  They were the backbone of agriculture in Puerto Rico, working sugar cane and coffee fields.

Is this “good” for you…..no.  Is is delicious….YES!  I mean look at it, I know you want to eat it.

Get yourself some yummy skirt steak.  Stab it savagely a few times with a fork to tenderize it.

IMG_2522

Put it into a Ziploc bag with 1 cup of Mojo and let it marinade, set aside.  You can find pre-made mojo marinade at you local Latin grocery.

IMG_2523

Get yourself an onion and 3 cloves of garlic.

IMG_2525

Slice 1/2 an onion.

IMG_2526

Crush 3 cloves of garlic.  Crush them with the skins on, they come right off after they are crushed.

IMG_2529

Get 3/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1 Tbs of vinegar.

IMG_2534

Pour into a hot pan.

IMG_2535

Now add garlic, onions, 1 bay leaf and 12 pepper corns.

IMG_2537  IMG_2538   IMG_2540  IMG_2539

Oh and don’t forget a pinch of salt.   Let it come to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat, set aside.

IMG_2542

Fill a large deep skillet with vegetable oil.  Fill it enough to were your plantains will be almost submerged.

Peel your plantains and cut them in half at and angle.  If you want a thinner crispier plantain, you can cut it long ways.  You will just have a narrower sandwich.

IMG_2546

Drop them into the oil and let them fry until golden.

IMG_2548

Remove the plantain from the oil.

IMG_2553

Take a heavy pan and mash the plantain.

IMG_2554

See mashed plantain.   Squish….squish…. :D

IMG_2555

Return the plantains to the oil.   Fry until golden brown and crispy on the edges.  Be careful not to burn.  When done transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain, sprinkle with salt.  Do not forget the salt.

IMG_2557

In a small bowl or cup, combine 1 Tbs of mayonnaise and 1 Tbs of ketchup.

IMG_2563

While I was frying the plantains Hubby grilled the steaks.  He was done before I was able to get a shot.

IMG_2560

Make your sandwich.  Spread the mayo-ketchup spread on the plantains, layer steak, onion mixture, lettuce and tomatoes.

IMG_2566  IMG_2567  IMG_2570  IMG_2572

Top your sandwich with the other plantain, slice in half and enjoy.

IMG_2574

This sandwich is delicious and messy.  Be sure to have a roll of paper towel.  Eating this sandwich will produce sticky fingers and licking of your forearm.

ENJOY!

Here is the ingredient list.

Jibarito Sandwich

1 green plantain
4 inch portion of skirt steak
1/2 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup mojo
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs vinegar
1 bay leaf
12 peppercorns
1 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs mayonnaise
Lettuce & tomato

Comments

1. Christine says

I make so many recipes and stumbled upon your and will be creating this tonight if I get your response. I understand slicing the onion and crushed garlic placing water oil into a pot then adding onions and garlic but lthen there is no explination after set it to the side the recipe doesnt mention it…..what is it for? Are we supposed to fry the plantain I this? Or was it marinade for the steak? Thanks for sharing I can’t wait to make this. I’m excited to hear back from you.

Thank you in advance!

-Christine

2. Gloria Soto says

I just posted the jibarito sandwich on FB today, my sister Ebilin in NY saw it and made it. She called to let me know it was awesome, can’t wait until she comes to FL in January so she can make it for me. Since I shared the sandwich its only fare she make it for me. Thank you for all the recipes you know we Puerto Ricans love to eat, especially in our family since my mom owned caferterias here in FL & PR. We appreciate it. Food is what connects people together.

3. sex toys says

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very useful info specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

4. Cat says

I just had a variation of this at a Mexican restaurant in town – they used pork instead of steak, and there was a yummy orange pico de gallo on top, as well as some queso fresco inside. I think the steak sounds better though!

5. Marie Nina Luis says

GENIUS!
    I’m PRican, and abroad in Seville this year– I’m also the ONLY one who cooks in my flat of 4 people =) … Your site has been a life saver, ‘cuz calling my grandma at home to get recipes was a little excessive! =)
    Gracias un MILLÓN!

Thanks for the step by step tutorial! I did the El Jibarito before and it turned out sublime.
    I heard of it from the Foods of Chicago, an PBS production and found out that its found at the Borinquen restaurant in Chicago – although honestly, never been there to taste it.

I would also argue that’s actually healthier and more delicious than ANY fast food stuff out there.

thanks again!

Gabi @ Mamaliga.com

7. Fernando says

I like it very much. I prepare it last week for the family and we love it. Thank you and also to your mom SV.

I like eating this. The only addition I’d suggest is adding half a cup of garbanzo to the ketchup/mayonaisse mix. It adds more chewiness.

1. [...] During my Online Journalism class, Katie Bavosa, a fellow student at Rowan University, asked me if I had ever tried cooking ethnic foods. Immediately I replied no, however, I do love Spanish food and I would love to try a Spanish recipe so Bavosa suggested that I try something different for my blog. So I went to those closest to me who would have the best suggestions for a recipe to try. Jovita Salamone, whom you might remember from an earlier post and another coworker of mine, suggested that I try a Jibarito Sandwich. [...]