One of my favorite things to eat during the summer is a hearty salad with grilled meat. A bowl of salad greens and charred grilled meat is the perfect summertime dinner. While I was in Phoneix last month my lovely friend Lynn from 365 Days of Baking and More made a salad with the most wonderful poppyseed dressing! I want to pour this dressing over all of my salads!
In homage to my homegirl Lynn and her wicked salad dressing skills, I thought I’d make my dream salad for summer dinners outside. It’s still wet and squishy outside but, when I sit down to eat this salad I know summer is coming.
I decided to start with a bed of arugula and spinach. I love spinach because it hearty and arugula because it’s peppery. I tossed the salad greens with strawberries, candied walnuts, blue cheese and the bomb dressing. Finally, I topped the salad with juicy grilled chicken thighs.
Trust me when I say that this salad will make a regular rotation on your dinner menu this summer. It’s simple, filling and slap your mama good.
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 6 thighs
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 5 oz arugula
- 5 oz baby salad
- 1 cup candied walnuts
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- salad spinner
- dressing shaker
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender. Blend until emulsified, set aside.
- In a bowl combine chicken ingredients. Toss until chicken is well coated and seasoned. Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Brush grill with oil. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Slice chicken thighs, set aside.
- Divide salad greens and toppings evenly amoung plates. Top with grilled chicken and drizzle with dressing.