Earlier this week I was going to post an orange chicken that I made in the crock-pot but it didn’t turn out so good…..it was a little on the salty side. This recipe, on the other hand, was a hit! A few weeks back Hubby and I went to the Goodwill just to check out what they have. Every once in a while we like to go and see if we find anything interesting. This Goodwill had a pretty big book section and I found myself in the cookbook section. I found a cookbook of Cooking Light Annual Recipes for 2000 for only $2.50! This cookbook is almost 350 pages, I thought this was a deal! So mental note if you want to grow your cookbook collection, check out your local Goodwill.
Anyways, in this book, I found a recipe for a Fresh Mango Salsa and I had just bought six mangos at Sam’s Club (great deal), so I thought this would be a good thing to try. I thought what would go well with a mango salsa and jerk chicken was the first thing that came to mind. I searched around for a few jerk chicken recipes on-line and came up with this. I also made an easy side of roast potatoes. Hubby and I agreed that this recipe was a success.
More Mango Love:
- Quinoa Chicken Bowls with Mango Salsa
- Caribbean Chicken Salad with Mango Dressing
- Mango-Pineapple Salsa
- Mango Jerk Wings
Items Used in this Recipe:
- Cuisinart 8-cup Food Processor
- Anchor Hocking 6-Piece Glass Mixing Bowls
- Lodge Reversible Cast Iron Grill/Griddle
- Jerk Chicken
- 1 teaspoons ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of chicken broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper or 1 habanero peppers (depends how much heat you like)
- 4 chicken breast
- ½ cup lime juice
- Mango Salsa
- 1½ cups of chopped & peeled mango
- 1½ cups chopped tomato
- 2 Tbs minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken and lime juice in a food processor and puree until pretty smooth. Place the chicken and lime juice in a mixing bowl and pour about half of the jerk sauce over it, tossing the chicken around to coat it well. Place in a container and pour the remaining sauce on top of chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, you can also do it overnight.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the jerk marinade. Heat grill or griddle grill to medium high heat. Add chicken to grill and cook, flipping once until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and chill.