This post is on behalf of DaVinci. All thoughts, views, and opinions expressed are my own.
BBQ Chicken Pizza | My husband and I occasionally have debates about what toppings are appropriate for pizza. I like to be creative with my pizza toppings and sauces and my husband is strictly red sauce, mozzarella and all the meats. However, there is a pizza that we both can agree upon and it’s bbq chicken pizza.
But if you know me, I can’t make any old bbq chicken pizza. I had to put my own spin on it. For this pizza, I decided used my blueberry balsamic bbq sauce. I love this sauce! The blueberries give the sauce a natural sweetness and the balsamic vinegar give it just the right amount of tang. Just what you want in a bbq chicken pizza.
How to Make Blueberry Balsamic BBQ Chicken Pizza
If you’re good at planning ahead you can make fresh pizza dough but if you are short on time you can purchase a ball of fresh pizza dough at the grocery store. For this recipe, it is best to use fresh pizza dough and not a pre-made crust.
- Make Blueberry Balsamic BBQ Sauce: This sauce comes together quickly and easily. Place blueberries, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, garlic powder, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 mins, or until the berries burst. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender, process until smooth.
- Prep Chicken: Any cooked chicken breast will work for this recipe. My favorite is rotisserie chicken breast from the grocery store. I find it that it stays most tender when used as a pizza topping. The chicken can be diced or shredded.
- Cheese: I know it is tempting to use pre-shredded cheese however it’s best to shred the cheese yourself. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in cornstarch to keep it from clumping when packaged. This coating hinders the melt and stretch of the cheese. It is best to take a little extra time and shredded the cheese straight from the block yourself.
- Red Onion: Red onion is strong in flavor and is best when thinly sliced. Using a very sharp knife slice the onion about 1/8 inch lengthwise, this is called a julienne cut.
Pairing Wine with BBQ Chicken Pizza
When eating pizza some may want to reach for a beer or a soda but, I argue that you should reach for a glass of DaVinci Wine. Wine and pizza go together like peanut butter and jelly. Think about it, what goes better with wine than bread, sauce, and cheese?
Playing off the sweet and tangy flavor of the blueberry balsamic bbq sauce I decided to pair this pizza with DaVinci Chianti. DaVinci Chianti is a well-balanced wine of medium weight with jammy flavors of ripe plums, cherries and red fruit which pair well with the blueberry and balsamic.
Ingredients for Blueberry Balsamic BBQ Chicken Pizza
Wood Fired Pizza at Home
DaVinci Wines has provided me with an amazing portable wood fire pizza. The Ooni 3 Portable Wood-fired Outdoor Pizza oven heats up to 932°F in 10 minutes and cooks pizza in 2 minutes. It is fitted with a wood pellet hopper that provides continuous heat and authentic wood-fired pizza flavor. I mean look at that charred bubbly crust.
- It is important to allow the oven to fully come up to temperature with the stone baking board inside before sliding the pizza in the oven.
- Dust a pizza peel with a small amount of flour or cornmeal. Stretch the pizza dough out to 12 inches and lay it on the pizza peel. Top the pizza dough with sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Carefully slide the pizza off the peel and into the oven. Rotate the pizza every 30 seconds. The pizza will cool in 2 minutes.
Why I love Wood Fired Pizza
The first time I ever had wood-fired pizza was probably 18 years ago in a restaurant in Washington, DC. I immediately fell in love and whenever I move to a new town I go on the hunt for the best wood-fired pizza.
- It’s fast! Who wants to be waiting 15 minutes for pizza to be done? Wood-fired ovens reach extremely high temperatures and cook pizza in a matter of minutes.
- No, fail crispy crust. I am all about a crust that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
- It tastes amazing. The wood gives the crust a hint of a smoky flavor that cannot be replicated in a conventional oven.
Enter for the chance to win a portable wood-fired outdoor pizza oven text “DaVinci” to 73876 for a chance to win. Read the official rules for contest details. Must be 21+ to enter.
If you love wood-fired pizza and wine but, you don’t want to have to wait for a table or change out of your comfy pants make DaVinci and part of your life.
more bbq love
- 1/2 (8 oz) fresh pizza dough, room temperature
- 1/2 cup diced chicken breast (about 1 breast)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons blueberry balsamic bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Heat wood-fired oven for 10 minutes or a conventional oven to 500 degrees with a stone baking board inside.
- Dust a pizza peel lightly with flour. Stretch the pizza dough to 12 inches and lay on the prepared pizza peel.
- Spread 1/4 cup bbq sauce on pizza dough. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese and top with chicken and onions.
- Carefully slide the pizza off the peel on into the wood-fired oven. Bake for 2 minutes, rotating the pizza every 30 seconds. If baking in a conventional oven carefully slide on to the pizza stone and bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and bubbly and the toppings are warm.
- Slice and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 851Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 197mgSodium: 2159mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 4gSugar: 44gProtein: 71g