My household is a lover of sweet potatoes. I mean we really love sweet potatoes. I always have a bag of sweet potatoes in my pantry and a bag of frozen sweet potatoes in the freezer.
Last year I took a trip with two of my friends to New York City. While we were there we had breakfast at a place called Russ & Daughters. This was my the first time I was introduced to latkes. I have heard of latkes but I had never had the opportunity to taste them. I fell in love!
Latkes are deep fried potato cakes served with a dollop of sour cream or apple sauce. As much as I love latkes I enjoy them as a treat because….well, deep fried. So, I can get a taste of latkes more regularly I thought I try a lighter version with sweet potatoes.
These latkes are lightly fried in a non-stick skillet and bonded with egg and almond flour. This way they are healthier than traditional latkes. This recipe has very basic seasoning and flavor but you can make them your own adding fresh herbs and different spices. I can totally see a Southwest version with cumin and cilantro.
more sweet potato love
- one skillet sweet potato burrito bowls
- melting sweet potatoes
- turkey taco stuffed sweet potatoes
- sweet potato noodles with red wine beef
- 11 oz shredded sweet potato
- 1/2 small onion, small diced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- In a large bowl combine shredded sweet potato, onion, eggs, garlic, salt, and almond flour, mix until well combined.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Place a scant 1/3 cup of sweet potato mixture in the skillet. Lightly pressing down with the back of the spatula. You should be able to fit 3 - 4 latkes in the skillet.
- Cook about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using the spatula flip the latkes and press them down to flatten and cook until golden, about 3 more minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g