galette It is my favorite time of year, Fall! I love the fall more than any other season. Even though I am sitting here with a long sleeve shirt, hoodie, flannel pants, socks, fuzzy slippers and a frozen nose, I LOVE FALL! I adore the food, the weather, and all the wonderful accessories I get to wear. Ok enough swooning over Fall, let’s talk food.
If you have never made a galette you need to rectify that immediately. Galette is the fancy Frech way to describe a free-form crusty flat tart. It’s similar to the Spanish word for cracker/cookie which is galleta. I love galette because they are incredibly easy to make, beautiful to look at, and delicious to eat. It’s a great dish for when you want to fancy but don’t try hard.
With frozen root vegetables and store-bought pie crust, this galette comes together in no time. The sweetness from the potatoes and apples in combination with the onions and herbs is delightful. It’s like a savory Thanksgiving tart.
The great thing about a recipe like this is that you can easily make it your own. You can swap pears for apples, butternut squash or pumpkin for sweet potato. You could add roasted pecans, dry cranberries or blue cheese. If you want to go another route, you could ditch the crust all together and make it into a sort of roasted salad. The possibilities are endless.
Make this for your next dinner party and your sure to impress your guest. I also encourage you to experiment and make it your own. If you have more of a sweet tooth check out my cherry and apricot galette.
more galette love
- blackberry and pear galette with rosemary
- red pepper and egg galettes
- heirloom tomato, zucchini, caramelized onion, and feta galette
- 1 large apple, (Rome Beauty, Honeycrisp, or Cortland) peeled, cored, & diced
- 1 16 oz bag frozen root vegetables with onion
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 refrigerated roll-out pie crust