Obed, “These are the best cupcakes you have ever made hands down! I love the frosting!”
In summation they were a hit. I took them into the office, like I do with every baked good, and they disappeared. The cupcake itself is very moist and sweet. The coffee powder brings out the flavor of the chocolate but it does not dominate at all in the cupcake. I loved this peanut butter frosting! It was a little thick at first so I thinned it out with whipping cream. It came out sweet, peanutty and creamy. I think I may just make this whole thing into a cake next time.
Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins (from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (6 ounces) semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup pan muffin with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl stir together the bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg. Set aside.
In another medium bowl whisk together the flour, espresso, baking soda, and salt together. Make a well in the center of the flour bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate.
Divide the batter among the muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan for 15 minutes before removing. Then finishing cooling on a wire rack.
Peanut Butter Frosting (Bon Appetit January 2003)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned or freshly ground)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons whipping cream
Put powdered sugar and next 3 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth, adding whipping cream by teaspoonfuls.
Pipe the frosting in swirls over top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles.0