Easy Guava BBQ Ribs

I am finally back from visiting with the family, which started and ended with a very, very, long road trip.  I confess there may have been a mild meltdown on my part after 15 hours of being cooped up in the car.  This   meltdown may have included flaying arms and an all out war with my seatbelt, but in the end I lost because I still had 5 hours left before we reached our destination.

While I was in Florida visiting the fam I offered to feed the Rivera clan.  I needed to find a way to easily feed a plethora of people and not stress myself out in the process.  That is when I decided that a few racks of spare ribs would do the trick.  Tender juicy spares ribs are loved by all especially a group of hungry Puerto Ricans.

Guava BBQ Ribs

I usually try and make everything from scratch but since I was on vacation I figured I make it easy on myself.  Even thou these ribs take time to come together they require little effort or labor making them completly vacation friendly.  Also because I was on vacation and kind of being a slacking bum I didn’t get all of my pictures taken.

Trim any excess fat from the ribs.  Place the ribs in a deep roasting pan or aluminum tray.  Pour the mojo over the ribs until it comes about half way up the sides of the ribs.

Guava BBQ Ribs

Cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.  I think overnight is the best. :D

Guava BBQ ribs

Pre-heat the oven to 275 degrees.  Pour the marinade out of the tray, cover tightly with foil and bake for 2 hours or until rib meat is fork tender.

My favorite base barbecue sauce is KC Masterpiece but you can use any basic barbecue sauce your prefer.  Also I like to use guava preserves because they melt smooth into the sauce but if you can’t find it you can substitute guava paste, however it will take longer to melt down.  A puree of canned guava shells would also be an excellent substitute.

Guava BBQ Ribs

While the ribs are steaming in the oven combine barbecue sauce, guava preserves, garlic, orange juice and white vinegar in a large pot, bring to a simmer and stir until guava is melted and sauce is smooth.

Guava BBQ Ribs

Transfer ribs to a rimmed baking sheet.  Set oven to HI broil, generously brush ribs with guava barbeque sauce.  Place the ribs on the center rack and broil for 2 minutes, flip the ribs, brush with sauce and broil and additional 2 minutes, or until bubbly and sticky.

If it’s already getting warm outside where you live you can skip the broiler and throw them on the grill instead.  Mmmmm…

Slice the ribs and serve with a heaping helping of mashed potatoes, creamy green beans and a wet nap.  Drizzle with more sauce if desired.

Guava BBQ Ribs

Stay tuned for the mashed potato and green bean recipe, they were as big of a hit as the ribs.  The family was moaning and groaning with every bite, not to mention licking and sucking their fingers clean.   I rarely have to feed 15+ people but if you ever need to a few slab of saucy ribs will do the trick.

Guava BBQ Ribs

• 2 slabs of spare ribs
  • 12 oz Goya Mojo marinade or favorite citrus based marinade
  • 1 16 oz bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce or favorite bbq sauce
  • 1 11 oz jar of guava preserves
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tbs white vinegar

Trim any excess fat from the ribs.  Lay ribs in a deep roast pan and pour marinade over the ribs.  Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.

Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees.  Drain marinade from pan, tightly cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 2 hours.

In a 5 quart pot combine barbecue sauce, guava preserves, garlic, orange juice and white vinegar.  Bring to a slow simmer and stir until the preserves have melted and the sauce is smooth, set aside.

Slice ribs and serve.

Comments

Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your blog posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
    that go over the same topics? Thank you!

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website. It’s
    simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance. I must say you’ve done a awesome
    job with this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Opera.
    Exceptional Blog!

3. Mark says

Meseidy~

We just got back from Kauai where we gorged ourselves, that’s right, I’m not shy…
    g-o-r-g-e-d ourselves on some amazing Guava BBQ ribs at a place called Lemon Grass.

I was looking for anyway for this gringo-haole (just know: white boy) to fix-up anything close to what they had done, and YOUR recipe did it!
    So easy to follow, great pics and instructions… will be added in regular rotation to summertime meals now.

Mucho gracias and Mahalo!

Mark

4. Marisol says

Like you, I will soon be feeding a group of hungry puertorricans…and I was thinking of trying your ribs with guava (which by the way I tried then with my family and they loved them…but I will like to have the recipe for the mashed potatoes and those delicious looking green beans. Will you be posting soon the recipes for those too? I know you are very busy with cooking school and more….but please, please, please don’t leave me hanging….por fa…. Gracias por tus recetas son estupendas…. :-)

5. Marisol says

I can’t wait for the green beans and mashed potatoes recipes…that way I can try the hole combo. I already have the ingredients for the ribs, please, please, please hurry with those recipes. :) I love your blog, and pics, everything looks so good and delicious, and your so funny…Keep the good work!!!! and Viva Puerto Rico!!!!! Weeeepaaaaaa!!!!!!!

6. Gloria says

I once did a BBQ guava-sauce. It was delicious but so complicated. The minute I saw your recipe I knew I had to try it again. But I was very tired so I mix a BBQ honey sauce and the guava preserves (60% guava, 40% BBQ), put them in the microwave for a minute and the sauce was absolutely delicious I can’t even imagine how much better were yours. I love your blog, everything is so well explained and documented, the pictures are perfect. Thanks for posting all this amazing recipes.

Saludos desde Puerto Rico!

7. Amy says

I live in Tulsa and can’t seem to find guava for the recipes you have made- ribs and cheesecake. Where do you find yours?

• says

It is hit or miss for me sometimes. I have had some luck at the Mexican markets “Las America” and the Asian markets Nam Hai and Asian Mart. But I also luck out because my mother in law ships me some once in awhile from FL. You can also try an online store elcolmadito.com. For the ribs you can try and use guava paste if you can’t find preserves or shells. Guava paste is easier to find in the Latin Foods section of any grocery store.

• Amy says

I made these ribs and they were wonderful. Even my husband liked them and he claims to “hate” ribs! Thank you for sharing this recipe. :)

8. Martha says

I am not a fello Boricua. But this recipe looks easy and I bet the taste is aaaamazing. I love guavas. Thanks I will try it out.

9. R. Prado says

Wow,
    While conducting a research about Guavas(guayavas), I came across your site. Being from P.R. myself, I found it to be even a bigger surprise to come across a spare ribs recipe utilizing Guava. Wow! I most say, need to try it very soon. Check out this site: Iloveflavor.com. I’m very closed and affiliated to the creator of the site. I’m constantly reseaching for spices/condiments and I must say that your BBQ ribs recipe truly got my attention. Keep up the good work!
    R. Prado