I am so proud of this dish, I made it all by my lonesome, no recipe or cookbook used. If you like the flavors of coconut, pineapple and curry this is definitely a dish for you. These delicious little morsels turned out even better than I thought they would. I swear they were like meaty candied morsels….LOL. They are savory and sweet with just a bit of heat, soooo yummy. I will admit though I was inspired to use pineapple from Kayotic Kitchen’s twitter feed, she mentioned a pineapple version of her Peachy Chicken.
Of course the best part about this dish was that it was easy to make. Hubby said that this had to be one of the top five, although I am not really sure which ones the other four would be. :D I would definitely use this glaze again, Hubby said to be sure to write it down so we can use it on the grill this summer.
I served these skewers over a bed of jasmine rice that I cooked with equal parts water and coconut milk. Yum!
Pineapple Curry Glazed Chicken Skewers
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 can of crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 1 Tbs)
- 1 Tbs of curry
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup red pepper, minced
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/2 a small onion, minced
- 12-14 small wood skewers
Pineapple Curry Glaze
1. In a large bowl combine pineapple, honey, brown sugar, pineapple juice, curry, vanilla, red pepper and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Combine well.
2. Heat a large skillet to a medium-high heat. Pour in pineapple mixture and bring to a boil, turn down heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
1. Pour coconut milk into a large bowl. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces, (I like it when chicken is still a little frozen, it’s easier to cut) and drop into the bowl of coconut milk.
2. Heat a large skillet with 1 Tbs of olive oil, saute onions and 2 cloves of minced garlic until translucent.
3. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken from bowl to the hot pan. (rinse out bowl, you will need it again) Cook until “browned”. Removed chicken from skillet and place in bowl, let it cool until it is comfortable to handle.
4. Preheat broiler on normal. Prepare broiling pan. Skewer 4 to 5 pieces of chicken on each skewer.
5. Coat skewers with pineapple glaze and place on broiling pan, spoon pineapple glaze over skewers.
6. Broil at normal heat until cooked through and browning, abt 10 mins. Keep an eye on it.
7. Serve warm and garnish with cilantro.