Some days are so beautiful that it just begging us to light up the grill. This weekend was one of those days. Perfect spring temperatures and sunny skies. The first lighting of the grill after a long winter is almost ceremonial. I love the smell of a charcoal grill on a warm Spring day. Full disclosure, I do not grill.
When OB and I got married we agreed that he did the grilling and I did the prepping. We have a few agreements actually. I wash laundry, he folds and puts it away. I drive the car and he maintains it. He mows and I supervise from inside in the air conditioning. I cook and he eats. It’s truly a match made in heaven.
It was such a beautiful day I wanted to do something besides the run of the mill grilled burgers and dogs. Inspired by the idea of honey plum soy chicken I decided to change it up with a little heat with some sriracha and bright pickled plums? Nommy!
I’m in love! This maybe my new favorite grilled chicken dish! Spicy sriracha glazed chicken with a bright pickled plum salad! How can it go wrong? The chicken is sticky with a kick of heat. But, the pickled plum salad perfectly cuts into and compliments the heat. Serve it over jasmine rice and you got a knock it out of the park dish. Not to mention it’s insanely easy to make for a hungry crowd.
- Pickled Salad
- 5 plums, pitted & thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber, cored and sliced as matchstick
- 3 green onions, sliced at a bias
- ½ red pepper, small diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups white vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cup ice
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- juice from ½ lime
- 3 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, skinned
- cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Place vegetables and plums in a large bowl or pitcher. In a small sauce pot combine vinegar, sugar, salt and 1 cup water over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar dissolves. Add ice and stir until melted. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate to pickle.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, lime juice, honey, garlic, ginger and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk together until well combined. Place chicken in a large resealable bag, add marinade.
- Refrigerate for 45 min to 1 hr to let marinade.
- Remove chicken from marinade, set aside. Pour remaining marinade into a small sauce pot, bring to a boil and reduce by half.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. After preheating, turn the left burner off (leave the right burner on) or move coals to the righ side of the grill.
- Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Place chicken on grill rack over direct heat. Cover and grill for 5 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with reduction. Move the chicken to grill rack over indirect heat. Cover and grill an additional 5 minutes on each side or until done, basting occasionally with reduction.
- Serve chicken with pickled salad over jasmine rice, garnished with cilantro.
Add the chicken with all the marinade (not need to boil stove top) into a rimmed baking sheet pan lined with foil. Cook for 30 minutes at 400°F, flipping & baste chicken halfway through.
Lower the heat to 350°F and cook for an additional 10-30 minutes or until juices run clear (not pink) when poked with a sharp knife or the internal temperature reaches 170°F. Sauce should be thick and sticky. If your chicken pieces aren’t browning to your satisfaction, you can put them under the broiler for the last 5 minutes of cooking or until browned sufficiently.