Ok so I have been MIA for a few days. What do you expect I am on vacation in Florida and to my relief it hasn’t been raining as much as we thought it would. We have actually been able to enjoy the sun and go to the beach. Oh and did I mention the little chunk of skin that I missed with the sun block? It’s nice and red, right in the fat fold of my arm. It looks just lovely when I wear a tank top. Fabulous!
Well while we were at the beach Hubby and I prepared hamburgers for everyone. I wanted to make something that would change them up a bit. I made these onion straws. They are SUPER easy and delicious. You can use them as a topping on your burgers and hot dogs or you can just have it as a side. I top my burger with cheddar cheese, onion straws and bar-b-que sauce soooooo good!
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 cup of flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet on medium high heat.
- In 3 shallow bowls place 1 cup of flour, buttermilk and 1 cup of flower with the seasonings.
- Dredge the onions in the flour, then buttermilk and finally the seasoned flour.
- Fry in the oil until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turning them as necessary.
- Remove from the skillet and drain on a plate with paper towels. Serve warm.
- Super easy peasy!