For a long time I was reluctant to use a crock-pot because I always associated it with some ho-hum pot roast or one pot stew. I just always associated it with a cu sine that was not very appetizing to me. However everyone kept telling me that I had to get one because they are a life saver. I got one as a wedding gift and almost a year later I am finally pulling it out and started using it, after finding this cookbook, “Not Your Mother’s Slow-cooker Recipes for Two” by Beth Hensperger. It is a great cookbook with interesting recipes for your crock-pot, which is where I got this recipe from, although I had to make some adjustments. You maybe thinking, ”wow big whop chili in a crock-pot”, but this isn’t your average chili, just check out the ingredients. I have also done a Red Curry Chicken, Braised in Coconut Milk, it was yummy and I will be sure to post-it here in the future.
Turkey Chili with Baby White Beans
Cooker: 3 Quart
Setting & Cooking Time: Low for 7 to 8 hours; add beans after 3 1/2 hours
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 lbs of dark ground turkey
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne (add as much or little as you want, depending on how much heat you like)
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp of natural unsweeted cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt, to taste
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of red chili sauce
- 1 15 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of small white beans, navy beans
Garnish with some of these:
- chopped red onion
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- sour cream
1. In a lg skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil & cook the onion until limp, abt. 1 minute. Add the turkey and cook till no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Place in the slow cooker. Stir in the chili powder, salt, cinnamon, marjoram, cumin, bay leaf, cocoa powder, broth, red chili sauce and tomatoes. Break the tomatoes up with a spoon. Cover and cook for 3 1/2 hours on LOW.
2. At 3 1/2 hours, stir in beans, cover and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
3. Serve warm….mmmmmmm.