This post was sponsored by Pompeian. All opinions expressed on my site are my own.
Shaved beets and beet greens in balsamic vinegar on creamy goat cheese and toast. It’s simple, easy to prepare and sure to please your guest.
I know that cookies are king during Christmas but for someone who prefers savory over sweet, appetizers is where it’s at during the holidays. Anytime I am at a holiday party I load my plate with appetizers. Sometimes I don’t even go near the desserts.
I am currently obsessed with beets. Which is bizarre considering there was a time I couldn’t even go near a beet. Because of my current obsession, I decided to make an appetizer using the entire beet. Shaved beets and beet greens with balsamic vinegar and whipped herb goat cheese on toast. It’s a simple appetizer with classic flavors and festive to boot! I mean what says Christmas appetizer more than red and green?
Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar pairs perfectly with beets and goat cheese and adds a special touch to this simple appetizer. Pompeian is committed to quality and authenticity so you are sure that every bite will be special.
Next time you buy a bunch of beets don’t you dare toss those greens! They are full of flavor and nutrients and deserve as much love as the beets. It’s safe to say that my a mild obsession with beets has developed into a full on love for beets. I blame these fabulous little toasts. These little toasts are crispy, chewy, sweet, creamy, and tangy. It’s a practically a sensory and flavor overload.
More Beets to Love:
- Roasted Beets & Carrot Salad with Burrata
- Mini Beet, Goat Cheese & Pistachio Phyllo Cups
- Beet, Peach, & Burrata Salad with Basil Oil & Candied Pistachios
- Beet & Brie Crostini
Items Used in This Recipe:
- Wusthof 8-in Serrated Bread Knife
- Kitchen Aid 7 Speed Hand Mixer
- Benriner Mandoline Slicer
- Farberware Restaurant Pro Aluminum Nonstick 12-Inch Skillet
- Amazon Prime Free 2-Day Shipping (Try a 30-Day Free Trial)
- 1 baguette
- 8 oz garlic herb goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 bunch beets with stems and greens (3 - 4 beets)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar
- olive oil
- ½ cup candied walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the baguette into ½-inch slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and place on a sheet pan. Bake in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes, turning once, until toasted. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine goat cheese and heavy whipping cream. Using a hand mixer whip the goat cheese until smooth, set aside.
- Remove the beet greens and rinse clean. Gently pat dry with a paper towel. Stack the leaves and roll up into a cigar, then using a knife cut into ribbons, set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler peel 2 beets and rinse clean. Using a mandoline shave the beets into thin rounds. Stack the beet rounds and using a knife cut into ribbons, set aside.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beet greens, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the skillet. Sprinkle the green with salt and cook them for 2 minutes or until bright green and just wilted. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet add a drizzle of olive oil, beets, and balsamic vinegar. Saute for 2 minutes or until beets are tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Spread goat cheese on the toasts. Top with beet greens, beets, and chopped candied walnuts. Serve and enjoy.
Follow The NosheryAre you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest?
Want to get some peeks behind the scenes? Take a picture of my snapcode and follow me on SnapChat!
Subscribe to The Noshery email list to have each post delivered straight to your inbox or follow my blog with Bloglovin.